Goal 1 – Community Partners
Initiative: Develop a partnership with all vested organizations
- Continue to support the Coalition by identifying community stakeholders and resources to accomplish stated goals.
Initiative: Encourage collaboration between all parties
- Provide support to Goal Teams and celebrate successes.
Initiative: Identify funding and resources to support program solutions
- Executive committee members determine resource allocation and in-kind support.
- Seek grants that can be used to support plan activities.
- Identify new financial resources through fundraising efforts.
Initiative: Proactively communicate with the community and media
- Develop a Communication Plan.
- Create marketing/promotional materials and give-aways.
- Develop a Champaign Community Coalition website.
- Create Youth and Family Resource Guide.
Goal 2 – Police-Community Relations
Initiative: Examine and improve Police Complaint process
- On-going topic being discussed and addressed by the City Manager’s Office and City Council.
- Police Department and Coalition will support direction provided by the City Manager’s Office and Council regarding changes to the Complaint Process.
Initiative: Develop programs to educate citizens on police policy and procedures
- Implement Police 101 course that will provide scenario based training to citizens regarding policies and procedures.
- Schedule annual “Law and You” presentations for Unit 4 students to ensure they know how to interact with police officers.
- Use Cable Channel 5 (CGTV) to educate citizens on various topics regarding police interactions.
Initiative: Increase communication between police and community
- In an effort to better inform the public of police activity, the department will utilize social media such as Facebook and Twitter. In addition, CGTV will be used to host on-going discussions related to police-community issues.
Goal 3 – Healthy Youth and Families
Initiative: Develop a comprehensive approach to address mental wellness
- Develop effective mechanisms to educate and empower youth about mental wellness.
Initiative: Engage youth in physical fitness campaigns to encourage physical activity and exercise
- Collaborate with existing campaigns that promote physical wellness.
Initiative: Promote Restorative Justice philosophies community-wide to assist youth and families that become involved with law enforcement
- Identify Best Practice community models for implementation.
- Identify key individuals and organizations to engage in Best Practice initiatives.
- Provide community training on the role of trauma and the impact it has on youth, families and community.
Goal 4 – Youth Development
Initiative: Identify opportunities to involve a trusted adult in the life of each youth
- Encourage Coalition members to sign up to serve as a mentor in Champaign Unit 4 Schools.
- Connect with existing mentoring programs: C-U One-to-One, TALKS Mentoring, M3-Mentoring More Males and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Download Descriptions of the Major Mentoring Options
- Target 100 new mentors in Unit 4 Schools during 2012-2013 school year.
Initiative: Prepare youth for employment and career opportunities
- Continue planning for 2012 Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Continue fundraising efforts.
- Continue to monitor student performance via quarterly lunches at Central and Centennial High School.
Initiative: Offer youth safe, constructive, social and recreational opportunities
- Continue to strengthen conversations and collaborations with area churches, Y.M.C.A., Park District and other organizations to ensure K-12 have access to activities throughout the community.